Antiquarian & Secondhand Booksellers

Address: Carlton View, 17 Main Street, Normanton-on-Cliffe, Grantham, Lincs., NG32 3BH, England
Tel: +44(0)1400 251865  |  Email: bib@forestbooks.co.uk

Book Details


A. H.. A Few slight Sketches of History, &c.: intended as Hints to Future Study.1826

Doncaster: Printed by C. and J. White, First Edition, half-title, 4 plates of architectural pencil sketches by Elizabeth Wheatley, some early pencilled marginalia, scattered foxing, 44 pp., with the armorial bookplate of Edward Balme Wheatley-Balme, green morocco label lettered in gilt 'E[lizabeth] Wheatley' on upper cover, all edges gilt. The pencil sketches depict: 'The Wigwam'; 'Primitive Hut'; 'A Primitive Hut which has the origins of Columns'; 'Temple of Theseus at Athens'; 'Sketch of a Greek Doric Capital'; 'Origin of the Corinthian Capital'; 'Rise and progress of the Printed Arch'; 'Graduation from the Saxon to Printed Arch'. ****** Great Langdale, Little Langdale and part of Loughrigg were formerly in the parish of Grasmere as a chapelry. In 1751 a chapel was built to replace an earlier one on the present site which had fallen into disrepair. But with a growing population, this second chapel also became too small. It was therefore decided to build yet again and in February 1857 John Robinson and E. B. Wheatley were to take down the ancient chapel of Langdale and rebuild a tghird chapel. The cost was to be met by the local landowners, namely John Robinson (1802-1866) of Elterwater Hall (now Eltermere and E.B. Wheatley-Balme (1819-1896), the owner of the High Close estate at Loughrigg was the owner of Cote Wall, Mirfield, West Yorkshire, and the High Close estate at Loughgrigg, Grasmere, now owned by the National Trust. He was a considerable benefactor to the church in Langdale and also his native West Riding of Yorkshire.

Stock #31419

£495.00 order » / enquire »


Back to results

An image of any item can be supplied on request